Social skills training should be comprehensive, addressing a range of social skills from greetings to managing anxiety in social situations. Additionally, social skills training programs should be tailored to meet the specific needs of each individual with ASD. There is no one-size-fits-all approach to this kind of training, that’s why it’s so important to find a program that is the best fit for you or your loved one. Here at ShineLight we are launching a new and improved social skills training program. We deal with autism treatment near Bladen and want to help you learn more about social skills training.
Four Different Types of SST (Social Skills Training)
There are four different types of social skills training (SST): peer-mediated instruction and interventions, social stories and scripts, video modeling, and the PEERS program.
- Peer Mediated Instruction and Interventions – This type of SST involves teaching social skills to children with ASD by having them observe and interact with typically developing peers.
- Social Stories and Scripts – Social stories and scripts are tools that can be used to teach children with ASD-specific social skills. Social stories are short, descriptive narratives that provide information about a particular social situation. Scripts are similar to social stories, but they also include specific verbal responses that should be used in a given social situation.
- Video Modeling – Video modeling is a type of SST that involves showing children with ASD videos of other people engaged in desired social behaviors. After watching the videos, children are then given opportunities to practice the behaviors they have observed.
- The PEERS Program – The PEERS program is an evidence-based social skills training program that was developed at UCLA. The program includes weekly group sessions and individual coaching sessions. During the group sessions, participants learn specific social skills through activities, games, and role-playing. Individual coaching sessions are used to help participants practice and generalize the skills they have learned in the group sessions.
Social Skills Training at ShineLight
ShineLight is launching a new and improved social skills training program. Our social skills training emphasizes interpersonal relationships and skills, self-understanding, and actualization. This group-based, 12-week program is for individuals aged 13+. Sessions are held once a week, for two hours each.
The program includes:
- Tools for coping
- Tools for interpersonal skills
- Tools for Communicaiton
- Tools for Self-Advocacy
- Tools for Structuring the Environment to optimize success
- Take Aways for those supporting group members on each topic discussed
- Opportunities to Practice skills taught in class
- Opportunities for social engagement
- Opportunities to develop relationships
- Opportunities to develop a natural support network
Learn More About Autism Treatment Near Bladen
Here at ShineLight we have been learning about autism treatment near Bladen and how we can help for many years. We came up with this new and improved social skills training program to help people with autism learn and understand strong social skills. Contact us to learn more about this program and our other services.